Mental illness, as with many other types of illness, is treatable. Most people receiving appropriate, ongoing treatment will recover well from mental illness and are able to lead fulfilling lives in the community. However, only about half of those affected by mental illness actually receive treatment.
If you think you may be suffering from a mental illness, it is important to ask your doctor about any concerns that you have.
If you know someone who may have a mental illness, you can:
- Help them to get information from a website or library
- Suggest they go to a doctor or health professional
- Help them to make an appointment
- Offer to go with them to their appointment with a doctor or health professional
- Make sure they have a follow-up appointment
- Encourage them to get involved in local, social activities
- Discourage them from treating themselves with alcohol or other drugs